Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Blog Round-up

Drawn orange and white Blogger icon created by Pictofigo, from Wikimedia Commons. I've accepted it. I'm not going to win any awards for being the most prolific blogger. Often, thinking of something to write and posting it up here is more than I can deal with, on top of article-writing, job applications, teaching, email etc. However, while I might not be feeling extraordinarily productive right now, I do regularly read posts on a host of other academic blogs written by people who are prolific. And as these are blogs which interest me, I thought it would be useful to group them here for the perusal of others.

There's Teach Me Tonight, where I have read many brilliant posts, including this one on Arab feminism and romance, and have also written posts: one on romance novel covers and race and another on popular romance and homophobia, which generated some debate (including from the author of the book!).

Also, in the genre of popular romance publishing, there's the Popular Romance Project, a multi-discipline website which examines romance from various perspectives. There's a brilliant post currently on the front page by Kim Gallon about African American romance stories in the black press in the USA. I myself have contributed a couple of posts to date, including one on medieval romance, and another looking at the cultural conflict of modern sheikh romance in light of the Middle English romance The King of Tars.

I also regularly follow a number of medieval blogs. In The Middle, a collective medieval studies blog, regularly updates with posts on new interventions and scholarly perspectives, personal musings and considerations of the state of academia in the twenty-first century.

Then there's Modern Medieval, where I have recently read two posts on periodisation and have, in the past, enjoyed posts about some Middle English Gawain romances and a bunch of interesting stuff about the (often disturbing) connections between contemporary western-Middle Eastern politics, medievalism and the Crusades, for example this and this.

I also follow Got Medieval, a blog which has a more pop culture approach to medievalism and the casual use of 'medieval' in contemporary pop culture (film, TV), and which has a very enjoyable series of marginalia images (Mmm...Marginalia) including this one about medieval doodling ('you don't doodle in gold leaf', y'all).

Finally, when Geoffrey Chaucer Hath a Blog, it would simply be rude not to read it.

****************************************************

Image: Drawn orange and white Blogger icon created by Pictofigo, from Wikimedia Commons.

1 comment:

  1. It occurred to me that if people are looking for more of your work (but, admittedly, in rather longer forms than a blog post) they could read your thesis. They might also want to take a look at this.

    Thanks for linking to my post at TMT!

    ReplyDelete